Ready to harness the power of play?
Do I need LEGO Serious Play?
The appropriateness of using LEGO SERIOUS PLAY depends on what you want to achieve by gathering people to deal with a business opportunity or business challenge. You can determine it by asking yourself the following three questions:
1. What is the purpose of the gathering?
LEGO SERIOUS PLAY is appropriate when the goals of the meeting are
- for everyone to contribute her or his knowledge and opinions on a level playing field
- for honest dialog between team members and collaborative communication
- for no participant to dominate at the expense of others i.e. by pursuing a personal agenda
2. What is the subject for the gathering?
It is a good idea to use LEGO SERIOUS PLAY when:
- the subject is complex and multifaceted, and there are no clear answers
- there is a need to grasp the big picture, see connections and explore various options and potential solutions
- the participants are diverse in age, professional background or training (i.e. engineering and marketing)
or organizational status
3. What are the requirements for the decisions made at the gathering?
It is a good idea to use LEGO SERIOUS PLAY, when it is important:
- to make decisions that everyone commits to and honors after the meeting, even though even if she/he does not agree 100% with everything
- to make sure there are no excuses or lack of initiative after the meeting due to participants feeling they were not heard nor involved in the decision
- to give all participants a common understanding and frame of reference that will impact their work together after the meeting